So let’s get down to the nitty-gritty..what can you expect from your bridal makeup trial and how do you come best prepared?…
So the box of Celebrations is now literally a box of wrappers. You’ve sampled all the trendy cocktails, as it would surely have been a shame not to. But reality bites and all of a sudden you’re into 2017 with a bang and the early morning January blues are knocking on your door! Time for routine and getting your inside and outside glow back, and guess what…It’s easier than you think! Over January, I’ll be concentrating on ‘the basics’ – a simple refresher for some of you, and maybe an all new routine for others!
Hydration is key!
From the inside out you need to rehydrate. Simply drink up to 8 glasses of water a day to replenish and hydrate your body from the inside out. This will not only detox your system but help flush out any nasties from your skin. Tip – Mix some cordial or fruit through water or opt for sparkling water if you’re not a plan old water fan!
Get on top of your cleansing routine!
♥ Double Cleanse – find a cleansing product you like whether it be a wash, cream or liquid based product. Double cleansing ensures all daily grim is truly removed. Micellar water is a cost effective and mild way to cleanse and for you facial wipe lovers, ditch them! They’re the cause of sensitive dehydrated skin due to the high amounts of alcohol they hold! In my book, they are the devil!
♥ Exfoliate – twice a week is sufficient, and this will help removed dead skin cells that prohibit moisturiser sinking in. A small pea sized amount on the finger tips and gently massage into damp skin in gentle circular movements. Avoid the eye area – fine lines and crows feet will become more evident if you pull and tug at this area as it’s a this fine transparent layer of skin. The general rule is to only lightly cleanse or add eye cream to this area for hydration!
♥ Serum – a serum is a water-based formula comprised of tiny molecules that penetrate the deeper layers of your skin adding antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. At the moment, I’ve been using Clarins, Double Serum and have been using it for over 2 years now – I will not stray as it’s not only anti-aging and pumps loads of those antioxidants and plant extracts into my thirsty skin, (great for a gal in her 30’s) but it leaves my skin lovely and velvety and smelling wonderful! It’s also currently the most bought serum in the world. Fabulous for ANY SKIN TYPE enriched by a unique formula of over 20 plant extras to lighten, brighten, and tighten, leaving you looking radiant!
♥ Moisturiser – again, depending on your skin type choose a moisturiser that suits you! Be sure that your day moisturiser has an SPF of at least 30+ and 50+ for brighter days! This not only helps minimise UVA/UVB damage and premature ageing but fine lines and age spots also! At night, to repair and restore your skin while you sleep, opt for a night cream!
♥ Oil – adding an oil to your routine is a must at this time of year. Oil also has tiny molecules which penetrate into the deeper layer of your skin, but unlike serum. Oil adds a kick of hydration. This also goes for oily skin types as you’re skin too can be dehydrated. The input of the correct oil will not only aid hydration but slow down the amount of oil your skin secrets, especially those of you that strip your skin clean of your natural oil which actually has a counteracting effect which encourages the over-production of oil thereafter – so again, stand clear of wipes and alcoholic based toners!
This is a brief overview and if you carry these steps out in this manner, you’ll have soft subtle glowing skin within a very short time indeed!
Simply go to your nearest skincare specialist and find the products to best suit your skin type. If however, you’ve problematic skin, seeking professional skincare advice from a dermatologist or your doctor is advisable before investing in products that may not actual work for you. You can then use the skincare routine steps to guide you with the products they recommend – a happy new year brings a happy skincare routine.
Feel free to email me with your beauty queries on email@example.com and stay tuned to www.kerryharvey.ie for weekly blogs and vlog tutorials on all things beauty!
Follow me on snapchat for daily update on all things beauty and design related! Simply scan the below code or look me up on; kharveydesigns
Get the tinsel out – it’s that time of year again girls! Festive parties, weddings and lots of glitter and sparkle will take us singing into Christmas and the New Year so here’s my step-by-step DIY vintage glam makeup, fabulous for bridal, occasional or a Christmas party night out where you want to look absolutely fabulous!
Today I’ll focus on creating a beautiful vintage eye makeup using a combination of earthy matte colours from the gorgeous Blank Canvas Master Series One palette. There’ll be an added touch of sparkle for that modern festive twist!
♥ Step 1 – taking the colour brazen, a matte light taupe (light brown) shade, and a fluffy blending brush, apply a soft hue of colour sweeping and buffing the shade into your socket area and under your eye. Remember to focus the angle of the shadow up towards the tip of your brow to create that ‘almond shape’ for a soft sculpted uplifting eye effect.
♥ Step 2 – using a flat paddle brush, base your lid with a natural matte colour. I’m using ‘Core’ from the Blank Canvas Master Series Palette, which is an almost soft baby pink to give that soft bright-eyed effect.
♥ Step 3 – to add smoulder, using a pencil brush (great for soft detailing), I’m adding a coffee brown matte colour along the outer 1/3 lash line called ‘Hickory’ – sweeping up into the outer crease area and blending a little under the eye also.
♥ Step 4 – going back in with my fluffy blending brush, I’m adding a little more warmth by adding a touch of a warm reddish brown (Cocoa) and subtly blending all those shades together in the outer crease and socket together! Don’t forget to blend upwards, keeping that smouldering ‘almond shape’ in mind girls!
♥ Step 5 – Let’s add some sparkle! Using my Urban Decay pre-spray, I’ve dampened a small concealer brush, and using this brush, I’m adding some fine sparkle powder directly to the centre of the lid and inner eye for added dimension and festive glitz and glam! The dampened brush intensifies the sparkle and adheres it to the areas beautifully without fall.
♥ Step 6 – A gel or cake liner is best for a vintage winged liner effect! I LOVE MAC Blacktrack – I’ve been using this for year in my kit – it doesn’t crease, crack, fall or rub off easily. Using an angled liner brush, apply an elegant sweeping line, again, using the tip of your brow as a guide for the direction in which your ‘flick’ will go in!
♥ Feeling Adventurous! Why not add some lashes or for an authentic vintage glam flirt and go with a roaring red or plumping plum colour on your lips! I’ve popped on some fabulous Ardell Double Wispies (Cara Pharmacy) for that added vavavoom!
And voile…a beautiful vintage glam look for any party, wedding or festive night out!
If you’d like to see this tutorial in full, from prepping and priming, what products I’ve used, step-by-step of the entire makeup, to how I created this fabulous vintage red carpet hairstyle, be sure to check out my NEW Vlog on this look which is also showcased EXCLUSIVELY with WeddingsOnline!
Click the link to view the video plus all products used are listed below
♥ Prep and Prime:
Nuxe Anti-Fatigue Moisturiser
Elizabeth Arden – Visible Different Good Morning Retexturizing Primer
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation
Blank Canvas Master Series Palette
Socket – Brazen
Lid – Core
Lash-line & Crease – Hickory
Socket – Cocoa
Crease – Corruption
Inner Eye and Under Brow – Lilly & Goddess
Sparkle Pigment – Kiko textured Sparkle Eyeshodow 400 & Inglot AMC pure Pigment 76
Liner – MAC Blacktrack gel liner
L’Oreal Stuperstar Lash Mascara
Ardell Double Wispies
MAC Nutcracker Sweet Peach Compact for Cheeks and Highlight
MAC pro-longwear brozer – Medium Dark (light contour)
Rimmel – pencil in ‘Cappacino’
Gloss – Catrice Limited Edition Gold Sparkle Gloss
♥ Roaring Red:
MAC – pencil in ‘Brick’
Lipstick – NARS Jungle Red
♥ Plum Pout:
MAC – pencil in ‘Burgundy’
Lipcream – Catrice Matte Lipcream in Brooklyn Pinkster
In my last blog post, I showed you some tips on how to create a beautiful smokey eye – fabulous for any bride, bridesmaid, or festive party goer! To add some festive vintage inspiration to that beautiful makeup look, I’ve popped together a step-by-step vlog (link to watch below) of how to create this gorgeous Hollywood starlet, vintage red-carpet wave hairstyle! A really easy DIY hairstyle that looks amazing! Simply check out my step-by-step guidelines and recreate your very own gorgeous glamorous look this Christmas.
What you need:
♥ Hairdryer and Ceramic Brush
♥ Styling Product
♥ Comb/Teasing Brush (Backcombing)
♥ Medium Barrel Curling Tong – I’m using a Babyliss Tong that has various heat settings.
♥ Pin Curl Pins (grips are also fine but beware, they may leave marks)
♥ Hairspray for setting!
1. Dry your hair using a hairdryer and ceramic brush (doesn’t have to be perfect)
2. Add a little styling product – I prefer a gel-based product for pin curls to give extra staying power!
3. Using your comb, and looking straight ahead, separate your hair using the pupil of the eye or arch of your eyebrow as a guideline – the parting for a vintage hairstyle is quite far to the right or left, with a high quiffed fringe in the opposite direction. Use this simple trick as a good guideline on how far over you part your hair for that authentic look!
Tip: I have ‘cows lick’, so my fringe naturally falls to the left. If I want added volume for the quiffed fringe to really stand up, I part my hair to the left-hand side, and then my fringe will go the opposite way and sit to the right. As my fringe naturally loves to lie to the left, (where it will simply flatten even after backcombing) popping it in the opposite direction ensures I have that added ‘UMPH’ I need for this red-carpet vintage quiff!
4. Using my tongs on a med/high heat, I now neatly roll small sections of my hair into the tong, starting at the top, and working my way towards my neck.
5. Hold for 10 seconds, then let the curl hang loose.
6. Let it cool for a moment, (so as not to burn your fingers) now wrap the curl around two fingers.
7. Using your pin curl grip, secure the curl against your head.
8. Ensure it’s pinned to your scalp.
9. Repeat this same step the whole way around your head. Small sections, all going in the one direction – from the top of your head, toward your neck!
10. Now set with some hairspray and leave to cool for at least 20mins!
Tip: Do your makeup whilst your curls are setting! If you don’t leave time to set this look, the curls will not last!
11. Once set, simply remove all the pin curl grips.
12. Now, time to tame your ‘Curly Sue’ image!
13. Taking your teasing brush, start to gently brush your curls downwards.
14. Use your other hand to guide the curls in the one direction in coordination with the brush for full, bouncy curls.
15. That Quiff! Vintage red-carpet hair does not require big volume on top! Focus volume to the sides and back – lightly backcomb and smooth out. The quiff, however, will require more backcombing to achieve that height!
16. Again, backcomb and smooth to your desired height.
17. Use the pointed end of the teasing brush to re-lift the quiff if you’ve pulled the hair height down too much when smoothing!
18. Once you’re happy with your look, simply set with hairspray!
Tip: The smaller the barrel tong you use, the tighter the curl and vice versa, the larger the barrel, they looser the curl – you can gauge what suits you. For this look, on med/long hair, a medium barrel will achieve this look. Also, if your curls are too tight, simply keep brushing – brushing will loosen the curl but may take a few minutes if the curls are particularly tight – eg if you’ve let them set overnight on damp hair!
And that is how you can simply achieve a red-carpet look, right from home…if you’d prefer to watch me recreate this look LIVE, click on my vlog below and don’t forget to subscribe to my new letter for weekly DIY bridal beauty, makeup and hair tips!
With the festive season upon us, you might just be looking for some nifty tips and makeup inspiration – check out this stunning smokey eye look which I created on a shoot I recently did! Perfect for any girl that loves her glamour and likes a smouldering sultry look! All products are detailed at the end! K x
To begin with, I prepped and primed the skin and added foundation (you can do this after if you wish) I find foundation is the perfect primer and base for any detailed eye makeup – it not only conceals any discoloration from thread veins, dark circles etc, but it also cuts costs on having to buy a devoted eye primer! Just to note – when you base or prime the eye with a foundation, be sure to powder over with a translucent powder for a velvety smooth base for flawless blending thereafter!
1) Taking a small flat paddle brush, add a soft natural matte or even a very fine pearlescent natural tone all over the lid area.
2) Using a fluffy bristled blending brush, pick up a little product (a slightly darker matte natural/taupe tone) and work that into the socket area. This is what’s called your ‘transition colour’ and helps integrate your lighter and darker shades to look flawlessly blended later.
3) Using a much finer bristled brush known as a pencil brush, (it has a finer pointed end for more detailed work), pick up a touch of plum colour and begin to work that lightly into the outer crease in a ‘c’ shape. I suggest adding a little at a time and build your look – adding too much to begin will give a bruised, dirty eye makeup effect.
4) Taking a touch of highlighter on a larger flat paddle brush, simply add some highlight to the inner corner of the eyes, and also under the brow bone for a brow lifting and overall eye-opening effect!
5) Add liner – I love to work with gel liner and pop a little flick at the end for an eye opening/lifting effect. Using a kohl coffee pencil, also rim the waterline of the eye, upper and lower for a truly vamped up smokey look!
6) Taking a flat angled liner brush, and a touch of a coffee coloured shadow, let’s no add a richness and smoulder the overall look up! Blend this colour into the lower lashes – you can go the entire way over if you like a very smoked up eye makeup. I’ve applied the shadow halfway from the outer corner and integrated a pewter shade to blend into the inner eye keeping that eye-opening effect in mind.
7) Going back in with my flat paddle brush, I’ve taken a touch of pewter (it’s a gold/silver type colour) and placed it right on the centre of the lid making the eye look ‘POP’Finish off the eyes with your favourite mascara and add lashes for a
8) Finish off the eyes with your favourite mascara and add lashes for a voluminous effect and that’s your easy step-by-step plum/pewter smokey eye look in a nutshell!
For more on this look, the products I used, scroll below – K x
♥ Products Used ♥
♥ BrytSkincare – Day Moisturizer & Calm Serum
♥ Clarins Beauty Flash Balm
♥ MAC Prep & Prime Skin Base Visage / Moisture Infusion Serum Hydratant
♥ Clarins Multi-Active Yeux (eyes)
♥ Estee Lauder Double Wear Light No 2
♥ Conceal & Highlight under Eyes etc: MAC Pro-Longwear Concealor in NW20 & NC30
♥ Contour: Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel Moose
All MAC Cosmetics
♥ Lid & Inner Under Eye: Da Bling
♥ Inner Eye and Brow Bone: Jest
♥ Socket/Transition Colour: Quarry
♥ Outer 1/3 eyelid: Trax
♥ Outer Crease & Under Eye: BlackBerry
♥ Outer Crease & Under Eye: Sketch
♥ Lid: Pewter POP of Colour from LA Splash 16616 Poise
♥ Mascara: Lancome Hypnosis
♥ Lashes: Ardelle Demi Lash
♥ Lip pencil: MAC Boldly Bare
♥ Lipstick: Charlotte Tilbury Kim K.W.
Needing a refresher on how to apply the perfect tan? These are not only great tips for a blushing bride but fantastic tips for the festive season ahead! In this fabulous guest post, Olivia & Rachel from Vita Liberata, share their expert tanning tips on how to achieve the perfect glow! #Repost July 2017 (competition closed/expired)
I have a gorgeous post for all you girlies and indeed guys, who want to know the expert ‘in’s and out’s’, of faux tanning! Not only that, I’ve a fabulous competition for you to enter, open to all tan lovers! As I’m not a fan of laying in the sun (as I only freckle!) and I love my skincare, oils and serums too much to undo and add further little lines to my 30 something skin, I love to pop on tan to take ‘the white look away’ as we Irish say. I’m thrilled to have teamed up with Vita Liberata to bring you their TOP TIPS on achieving a ‘Perfect Wedding Tan’! No need for mucky hands, knees and ankles, or worries about sweating and leaving traces of tan on the underarm of your dress! My expert guest post comes from Olivia & Rachel of Vita Liberata – PRO Experts in all things tan plus they’ve given us a beautiful Vita Liberata prize – The Ultimate Bridal Glow Kit – for a lucky bride to WIN at the end of this post!
Hi to all you beautiful brides-to-be! We’re going to give you our BEST TIPS, on perfecting a beautiful tan and what to look for prior to sourcing your tan artist or applying your faux tan DIY style!
Your Wedding Tan will be the most important faux-glow of your life and one of the golden rules for a bride is to look naturally beautiful and never fake as your skin is your most important asset!
Your dress will more than likely be a shade of white, cream or nude, so it is critical that you set it off with skin that is glowing, perfect and naturally bronzed/tanned.
To achieve the perfect wedding day glow, here are our top tips…
♥ Practice Your Wedding Tan Application Before The Big Day!
Practice with your preferred product at least two weeks before the wedding. This will leave you plenty of time for the product to have completely faded before you apply for real two days before the big day! If you have super pale, hard to tan skin, you will get the best result by applying a light product twice in a row. This is true for a spray tan and an at home lotion or mousse.
♥ Choose a Product that Best Suits You for Your Faux Glow!
Your wedding day is not the time to skimp or cut corners and photos will last for the rest of your life, so be sure to choose your professional spray tan artist carefully. Check reviews, go to the salon for a trial! Choose a product that is good for your skin, doesn’t streak, is hydrating and free of toxins! You want an artist who treats you like a Hollywood celebrity and has an eye for detail – attention to detail and takes particular care with such areas as the hands, feet, elbows, knees and neck.
♥ Prepare Your Skin For Application!
To make sure your skin is in tip-top condition, you can prepare by exfoliating with a nourishing skin polish like Vita Liberata Super Fine Skin Polish. This removes dead skin cells without scratching the skin.
If you are applying from home, make sure to follow these simple rules:
- After application using a damp cloth, wipe over drier areas such as wrists, elbows, knees and ankles.
- Do not contact water for at least 6-8 hours (including washing your hands!)
- Avoid activities that will make you perspire and sweat.
- Do not wear tight clothing until you have rinsed off.
- When showering, rinse with water only (don’t exfoliate or use shower gels/soaps) and keep rinsing till the water runs clear
- Use a body moisturiser daily that’s non-oily/non-perfumed!
♥ The Big Finish!
On the day of your wedding, you can add to your glow and give your skin a red carpet finish with a sheer layer of Body Blur on your arms and legs, across your collarbones, and as a highlighter on your cheekbones.
Body Blur is a skin perfector and it uses light reflecting pearls to disguise any blemishes leaving the illusion of longer, slimmer looking, more beautiful limbs. It will catch the light in pictures and be the perfect partner to your beautiful dress. Apply with a tanning mitt, leave to set for a few minutes, and then blot gently with a towel or cloth to make sure there is no transfer.
Take a look at this video for the perfect application:
♥ Now Time to Party!
Now that you have a truly perfect glow, wear your dress with pride and party like never before. This is your big day….own it!
♥ Face Tans for Brides!
The key to bridal makeup is to look fresh-faced and glowing. You aren’t going to a nightclub! Try Vita Liberata Anti Age Self Tan Serum for the perfect dewy glow on face, neck and décolleté, and blend from the body to face.
♥ A Few Extra Notes……♥
Vita Liberata offer a fantastic spray tan called ‘Invisi Tan’, the world’s first untinted spray tan! This product is sprayed on to the skin like a normal spray tan however, there is no instant tint so it sprays clear. Then over 6-8 hours a lovely natural tan develops and will last 4-7 days. This is the perfect spray tan for brides as there is no risk of transfer. It has all the same amazing properties as our normal spray tan, including natural & organic ingredients, no self-tan smell and is super hydrating so it fades like a natural tan.
Lastly, after you the bride have trialled your tan and chosen your tan artist, we would definitely recommend that you all (all the bridal party wearing tan), have your tans done from the same salon/therapist. Someone that you, the bride, now trusts and will deliver the perfect application. This simply means you have one less thing to worry about prior to your big day! Now, get practising and roll on your big day!
Olivia & Rachel – Vita Literata x
♥ Win | The Ultimate Bridal Glow Kit ♥
Vita Liberata are kindly offering all my Brides-to-be and readers, the
Ultimate Bridal Glow Kit
♥ pHenomenal 2-3 Week Tan Mousse (RRP €46.50) which actress Sofia Vergara actually wore on her wedding day!
♥ Body Blur HD SKin Finish (RRP €37.50) and…
♥ Self Tanning Anti Age Serum (RRP €39.00)
Enter via my Facebook page —>>> Click here
ROI & NI Only!
Competition Closes July 31st – the winner will be contacted and announced thereafter!
Diminishing dark circles is much easier than you think! I now LOVE and cherish my skin tone. I’ve learned to enhance my traditional pale Irish complexion and really only embraced it since I’ve hit my 30s! Over the years, I’ve tried and tested many many concealers to hide my dark circles. Being of a paler complexion, in Winter, my then very pale Vitamin D lacking skin tone accentuates my dark circles with the backdrop of my dark hair! I’ve often been asked when wearing no make (which brings me back to my school days and brainless boys acting smart) ‘are you ok – you look a bit ill’ or ‘you remind me of the girl from The Ring’ (which is no compliment), so I know a thing or two about dark circles and working in makeup means, I also have tried and tested many products to aid with perfect concealing!
Check out my step-by-step tips on not only concealing your dark circles but brightening and lightening your look all in a few sweeps of a brush!
What you need!
♥ Cream concealer | Today, I’m using a medium coverage cream liquid concealer, fabulous for day to day wear – I’m loving this product at the moment and is one of my staple personal makeup bag favourites – PAESE Brightening Concealer €11.99
♥ A fluffy blending brush | E36 Concealer/ Blending Brush from Blank Canvas Cosmetics is a bargain at €7.99
♥ Lighten & Brighten ♥
The trick to hiding dark circles (very different to eye bags which is loosening of the skin under the eye) is to:
- Conceal using a light textured cream/liquid based concealer. A heavy stick concealer is simply too obvious and heavy and as your makeup wears throughout the day, it will have a tendency to dry out and cake sitting in any fine lines or crows feet! Not a good look! Creamy liquid concealer will conceal and add hydration to the eye area and are buildable ie you can layer them until you’re happy with the coverage.
- Use a brightening product with a slight illuminator to reflect the light. A lighter shade than your foundation will add soft focus to the eye area. This gives the illusion of brightening effortlessly to the on-lookers eye!
♥ Simply dot your chosen concealer under the eyes and using a fluffy blending brush, in circular motions, begin to blend the product. Start at the inner eye, and blend upwards towards the temples. You can do this on skin alone for a natural day look without foundation, or over foundation.
♥ You can brighten your entire look for a fresh-faced makeup by adding a touch of concealer in the following areas:
- Between the brows
- Down the bridge of the nose
- Cupids bow / top lip
I sometimes add a little concealer either side of my nose near my nostrils (as I get a little reddening around this area) and this helps hide and diminish any redness (broken capillaries from blowing my nose due to sinus) and even out my skin tone.
♥ Top Tip ♥
Use a brush for an airbrushed effect or for long-lasting under eye concealing, lightly seal with translucent loose powder!
Stay tuned for an upcoming post on my favourite concealers including budget concealers that really work! Now go forth and conceal …
Last week we looked at pairing our skin routine back to the basics! A step-by-step, easy to follow regime that you can carry out, twice daily, using your personal preferred products. Today I want to delve further into one of the key steps, exfoliation. This for me is the one step I have witnessed work with amazing results. The client’s skin texture and type can improve in leaps and bounds by simply being a little more mindful of your weekly routine.
How to exfoliate!
- The best time to exfoliate is when the skin is warmed up – this is easy to do when in the shower! Simply have your shower, wash your hair and after a few minutes, the humidity of the shower will warm the skin and open your pores – now your skin is ready to exfoliate, wash away those dead skin cells after a few minutes steaming.
- Add a pea-sized amount of your desired exfoliator to your fingertips and using both hands, either side of your face, in small circular motions, begin to massage the product around the face. You can start on your chin, either side of the nose or forehead, whichever suits you. Simply cover all areas of the face bar the eye-area. Leave a radius of a good inch or slight more around the eyes – this is an area of fine transparent skin that doesn’t require any added pulling or scrubbing which can cause or add to fine lines and crow’s feet.
- Be sure to concentrate your exfoliation to area’s that may need a little help loosening up the grease and grime of daily life. Area’s such as the nose, between the brows and chin. Go easier on the cheeks – you’ll find this area may become a little inflamed and sensitive if you over exfoliate here.
- You can gauge how long suits you – approx 30-60 seconds of gentle exfoliation, twice a week (or three times if you feel you need to), will help eliminate dead skin cells and unclog a certain amount of grease and grime that cleansing simply will not do alone. Now rinse off and pat the skin dry. Hereafter, you’ll find you’re masks, serums, moisturisers, and oils will effectively penetrate the skin and do the job they’ve set out to do – hydrate!
Remember, hydrated skin, (and yes this includes oily skin types as oiliness does not mean your skin is hydrated) will glow after exfoliation as it’s more nourished and cared for, thus makeup application will be a breeze.
As always, all my tips are DIY, so use what products you prefer. I personally have 2 favourites – La Roche Posey Ultra Fine Scrub for Sensitive Skin (Cara Pharmacy €14.95) and Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser which can be used daily – it leaves my skin feeling super silky, not over worked plus it has a gorgeous orange scent to really awaken you and your skin (Boots for €30.00)
Finally, remember, if you have problematic or extremely sensitive skin, arrange an appointment with your doctor or skin care specialist before trying any of the above.
BOTOX – what do you think when you hear the word Botox? For me, not knowing much on such cosmetic procedures, I immediately think frozen forehead…plastic shiny face…Beverly Hills Housewives with nothing better to do and too much money! Then whilst talking to a client of my own, I was intrigued when I’d heard how she used Botox to deal with chronic sweating. A problem, she had suffered silently with for many years! Yes, we can all put our hands up and say from time to time you get sweat stains on certain tops or materials as you were warm, it was humid, and the material wasn’t breathable. But what if you have tried every last deodorant under the sun – tried all sorts of lotions and potions, tablets and creams but you still sweat profusely even after showering in winter as if it was a hot day in the tropics. Since that initial conversation, I’ve met quite a number of other girls (as I work with women mainly) who expressed the same problem and with fabulous feedback on how life changing a procedure this is for my initial client, I went straight to the source to find out more on the pro’s and con’s of using botox for persistent and profuse sweat problems. Enter Dr, Farah Mydin!
Dr. Farah is a GP in Donegal Town who also caters to select clients with her Botox clinics. I decided we’d get down to the nitty gritty on what exactly botox is and can it actually treat such ailments as was described to me, or is it simply a cosmetic procedure for the rich! Over to you Dr. Farah….
What is Botox?
First of all, we need to be clear that botox is a brand, the actual drug is called Botulinum Toxin Type A and comes in many different brands. Examples would be Botox, Dysport, Azzalure to mention a few; essentially it’s the same ingredient. For simplicity sake, let’s just call it Toxin or toxin treatment for now.
For the beauty lover, is the use of toxin treatments something that can benefit us in staying young?
The answer is mostly a resounding NO! There are some medical uses for it which I will get to later on. But from an aesthetic point of view, no one needs toxin treatment – it’s more of an indulgence. If you want your wrinkles gone or reduced, then YES, toxin is your answer, we know it will work. It’s been proven time and time again. A few little pricks and watch the lines disappear slowly within 2 weeks!
What are the CON’s to using toxin treatment?
- It’s expensive. Let’s face it, there is no cheap alternative. The product itself is super expensive and due to licensing, medical insurance etc, having a treatment with a reputable practitioner will cost you! You need to beware of cheap offers… you’d need to think about who is doing it? Are they qualified and insured? Are they a registered medical professional? Where is the product from? How much of it is being used? In the ROI, its only medical doctors and dentists that are licensed to administer toxin treatment.
- It’s addictive. Once you have your frown lines, crows feet or worry lines disappear, you’ll never want them back! The most common myth with Toxin treatment is “You need to keep it up, otherwise, your lines will worsen”. This is simply not true. The toxin causes a temporary paralysis of the small muscles it’s injected into, once it has been metabolized by the body, the muscle function returns to normal, and your wrinkles are back! People forget what this is like and blame the toxin for making them look “worse”! One important fact (it may sound like a marketing ploy but trust me, it’s not) the more toxin treatments you have done, the longer it actually lasts for you.
- Unrealistic expectations. If the lines are too deep and skin elasticity is gone, then toxin treatment is not going to give you the results you desire. However, a good practitioner should advise you regarding your suitability for treatment. If wrinkles bother you, tackle it early. Prevention is better than the cure.
- It has complications. The most common ones are bruising and bleeding. Bruising is more common around the eye area as there are many small delicate vessels here. Bruising is rarely significant and in the majority of cases, can be covered up by some concealer. Bleeding usually settles after a few minutes. The needle used is extremely tiny. However, when it pierces the skin there will obviously be a spot of blood. A little bit of pressure and it stops! No dramas! The most feared complication is the droopy eye lid. Touch wood I haven’t seen this happen to my clients…but being precise with technique, the location of injection and quantity will avoid this rare complication!
What are the PRO’s to using toxin treatment?
- Wrinkle reduction. Don’t worry, you won’t be FROZEN! People that are frozen or look like they have had ‘work done’, often have had too much work done! I believe in a more natural improvement. It’s an art to fine tune the location, quantity, and distribution of toxin on different facial muscles to achieve less-wrinkles but still have some movement and a more youthful glow.
- No down time. This is excellent because you can even get it done on your lunch break! During the time of injection, there will be tiny “blebs” and maybe pin size points of bleeding which all resolves very quickly.
- You get a youthful glow. With toxin treatment, your skin would appear fresher and less “dull” or “tired” looking.
It has many medical uses apart from making us younger looking which brings us to the issue of profuse sweating! Some people are unfortunate and suffer a condition called Hyperhidrosis of underarms, palms, and soles of feet. This means they sweat excessively and are very limited to what they wear to avoid very obvious thus embarrassing wet patches on clothes. It’s a difficult situation to be in and can really hinder one’s self-esteem. Toxin administered with a different technique to these sweaty areas will almost instantaneously stop this problem! It works a treat and most of my clients that get this done can be sweat free for up to 8 months!
There is nothing to be afraid of… effects are temporary so if you don’t like it, you’d never have to get it done again! Give it a go and I’m sure you’ll love it. Trust me, I’m a doctor!
Dr. Farah has kindly attached a video (with her client’s consent) of her receiving treatment for hyperhidrosis. As you will be able to see, it’s very quick and the client is not distressed in any way. She simply administers the toxin treatment in small amounts around the problematic area in seconds! The client in question has had a few treatments at this stage and as Dr. Farah mentioned, each time she has had a treatment the results last longer and is now sweat free for up to 8 months! She now wears colored clothing, sleeveless tops, isn’t afraid to go out without a dark jacket on which she wore even on warm summer days, and having one shower is adequate as she no longer sweats excessively straight out of washing. The big thing for her, however, is that her confidence has grown immensely and she feels free from the silence of excessive sweating.
Working in the wedding industry, and hearing many of my own client’s consciousness and worries of sweating on their costly wedding gowns, this topic truly sat with me and intrigued me, but I had one more question for Dr. Farah…where’s does the sweat go?
‘Okay, so where does the sweat go? Theoretically, there is a small risk that you might get sweaty at the small of your back or places like hands and feet if getting the underarms treated. However, in clinical practice, I haven’t found this to be a problem.’
If you feel this is a treatment that may benefit you or someone you know, why not get in contact with Dr. Farah and book a private consultation (details below)! This may indeed be a life-changing treatment for you or someone you love in combating excessive sweating.
To contact Dr. Farah at your nearest clinic, here are the details:
Killybegs Medical Practice – 0749731148
The sunshine had us all in a summer mood, and hopefully, we’ve all picked up a healthy glow safely over the past few weeks! For those of you lucky to have olive toned skin, and even for people like me that simply get a speckle of freckles, here are some tips on prolonging your summer glow with added product recommendations too!
The key to maintaining that ‘healthy summer glow’ is to stay hydrated! Drinking lots of water and keeping your fluids up on the inside is key but you need to up the anti on outside maintenance also! Adding a nice moisturiser all over your body will not only aid a tan that develops evenly but also prolongs your glow beautifully!
♥ General Moisturiser ♥
Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula 250ml – Boots.ie €3.99.
This product softens and soothes the skin and is fantastic on stretch marks with up to 24 hrs hydration that sinks right in without residue! Not only that but is smells like memories of a beach holiday and is fantastic on super dry skins!
♥ Moisturiser With Added Glow ♥
Garnier Ambre Solaire After Sun with Hydrating Tan Maintainer 200ml – Tesco – €7.50.
This is a fabulous product that not only hydrates the skin after a day of lounging in the sun but has a tiny hint of tan which helps intensify your current colour prolonging your glow with it’s mix of glycerol and vitamin E ingredients! What I particularly love about this product is its supple buildable glow and zesty scent that has zero smell of tan! Great for prolonging a real tan or creating a soft tan in winter or summer!
♥ Hydrating Oil ♥
‘THIS WORKS’ Skin Deep Dry Leg Oil 120ml – Eske Pharmacy – €49.00
If you prefer a luxurious super hydrated feel that leaves the skin with a light glistening effect, then this product is for you! Enriched with 9 essential oils which not only smell amazing but this product dries almost instantly so there’s no sliding feel when you cross your legs! It’s also fantastic for dry skin types and scarring. Although this is for your legs and fantastic to highlight and hydrate tanned skin, I’ve been using this all over my body this winter, especially after exfoliating! I’ve very dry skin and some fresh scars from an operation I had in January on my leg so for me, this product has helped not only soften and hydrate my dry skin all over, it’s also softened the look of the small scars. Your skin will glisten slightly also, so this is a fantastic addition to your suitcase for that holiday glow on top of glow to your summer holiday tan!
Note: do not use oil based products to prolong or hydrate false tan – the oil encourages false tan to come off in patches, unfortunately!
♥ Top Tip! ♥
Lightly exfoliating all over once or twice every week will not only remove any dead skin cells, but leave your skin silky smooth to really soak up your moisturising products! Cocoa Brown Exfoliating Gloves (Cara Pharmacy €2.95), is a must for good skin maintenance and brilliant for you false tan lovers to keep on top off, or indeed remove any patchy mucky left-over tan! If all else fails, a simple at home option is to dry off after your shower or bath, using an old towel that hasn’t been washed with the addition of softener or going through the drier! That slight ‘roughness’ of a towel like this will help softly exfoliate your skin without too much effort!
Next week, I’ll be looking at false tans – something for every type of glow. In the meantime be sure to check out my blog on Flawless Tanning Every Time by clicking here! If you have any beauty related questions, drop them my way via firstname.lastname@example.org or PM your message to my Facebook page Kerry Harvey Designs! For daily updates on all things beauty, feel free to join me on Snapchat – search @kharveydesigns or scan the code! Enjoy the summer sun safely!